[SSJ-Coaches] Try-outs for Comp teams-Please Read

Richard Sieber rsieber45 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 11:55:49 PST 2012

Hi Coaches,

Welcome to Comp Try-Out week!  This weekend will be our first try-out sessions.  For all who missed the mandatory meeting, I would like to have All of you wear your Coaches shirt or Jacket to every tryout.  This will make you easy to identify and give the league a more professional look.  I would also ask that each team bring 2 parent volunteers to the the try-out to help players sign-in, assign age group, numbers and pennies and hand out flyers for your team.  We will have tables set up for the volunteers to sit.  We have pennies for them to wear so they are easily identified as well.  Please committ 2 parents from your team for your time slot.  You will also receive a coaching kit which includes 10 balls and 20 cones.  Please pick these up when you arrive.  The same kits will be passed to the next coach in subsequent time slots.

The coaching plan for each try-out is simple, please make sure to use it at every try-out to ensure fairness and consistency.  You should have approximately a 7.5 minute Dynamic Warm-up consisting of:
Jog down and back in line
skip up and back in line
Walking knee to chest
Toy Soldier
Walking hip stretch
Walking hurdeler
Lite jogging hurdeler
inch worm
Lunge and twist
High Knee Skip
Karaokes

If these stretching techniques are unfamiliar, you will find them on You Tube under Officially Fit-Dynamic Stretching pre-game soccer 1&2, note the majority of the stretches are on video 2.

Following warm-up please follow this drill plan.  First drill requires one cone, have half the kids form a circle.  Put the other half of the kids inside facing a child in the outside circle.  Have the outside child throw the ball for a series of traps (feet, thighs, chest, etc...).  After they complete the series, have them switch places and repeat.  This should take about 15 minutes, then give them a 2-3 minute break.

Second drill have the kids get in groups of 4.  They should form a 10x10 square with 4 cones.  Have three kids stand on the cones, the fourth kid becomes "man in the middle".  Use this as a simple keep away drill.  Look for accurate passes.  The person who does not pass well then becomes the man in the middle (has the ball stolen).  Do this for 15 minutes and then allow another 2-3 minute break.

Lastly, plan for a 30 minute scrimmage.  This should give you about 1 hour and 15 minute workout.  Please make sure to take good notes on your observations so you can keep track of players skills and your interest level. Let me know if you have any questions, I expect everyone to represent the league in a professional and respectful manner at all times.  Best of luck to all of you!

Rich Sieber
Comp Director