[SSJ-Coaches] ref assigment

Claudio Fleiner (SSJYSL) president at ssjysl.org
Mon Sep 24 00:05:19 PDT 2012

Hello Coaches,

As some of you have noticed the league has a hard time assigning 3
referees to all games.
Here a few points to keep in mind:

 1. TELL YOUR PARENTS (AND YOURSELF) TO STOP HARASSING OUR YOUTH AR (OR
    CENTER)!! IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO TELL THEM WHAT MISTAKES THEY MADE
    AND HOW BADLY THEY DO!
    Every single youth referee I worked with for comp games this season
    complained after the game about disparaging remarks. Yes, they say
    it does not bother them and they ignore it, but the fact is that
    many of them stop refereeing after a year or two. Of course they
    make mistakes, turns out nobody is born as the perfect referee, and
    if you don't give them a chance to learn they disappear (actually
    there has been one exception: the 12:30 game at Randol on Saturday:
    first time ever that an AR told me that the coach (in this case from
    the away team) was friendly, helpful and nice, usually I hear the
    opposite)
 2. you are all licensed referees, if you would help out it would solve
    this problem right away (in fact, any team should have at least one
    active referee: a coach, player or parent) in order for us to cover
    all games. If your team doesn't have one you should fix this asap.
 3. Many rescheduling requests create holes in the schedule, or single
    games (i.e. games that have no other games immediately before or
    after, even worse if they are further away), this makes it much
    harder to find referees. You should keep that in mind when you
    reschedule your game.
 4. In order for you to find out if your games are listed on arbiter I
    added a feature to the schedule (the one you get to when clicking on
    the menu point "schedule":
    http://www.ssjysl.org/schedule.shtml?time=1347753706 ). Each game
    listed on arbiter now has a curly braces on that page, with a C, and
    'A' if a center or assistant ref has signed up for your game (the
    information is updated once per day, so no need to reload the page
    every few minutes :)
    If you find out one week before your game that the game is not
    listed on Arbiter (because there are no '{}') please send a quick
    email to our referee assignor. However, don't send emails if you
    don't see a center assigned yet, she already knows and harassing
    either Christine or David is not going to help. Instead ask the
    coach of the game before or after yours if he/she is willing to
    center your game!

Thanks, Claudio

--
Claudio Fleiner, President, South San Jose Youth Soccer League